Aanandam

I love this album. This makes me feel good when I feel lonely and distressed.
Aanandam

Not only this album but many other albums of Unnikrishnan are also very healing. I used to wonder why people say that they don't prefer listening to Unnikrishnan's live concerts much. His album's are too good and I don't find many flaws in his pronunciation also but for the malayalam flavour in his accent here and there.

I happened to listen to one live concert of his in mangala mantapa (jayanagar - not sure if its 3rd or 4th block). To my surprise, his voice was not clear at all. Though not sure about the exact reason, I guessed that it could be because of him attempting to sing in a lower pitch than his usual pitch to project a bold feel to his voice. That doesn't suit him well.

Earlier people used to criticize him to be singing in 'voice of a lady'. There were also criticisms that he sings carnatic music like a light music. This was the time when he was singing many songs for movies. He was often used in movies to sing melodious songs. This could be one of the reasons which could have made people think that he is more suited form film music than karnatic music. Hence the criticisms.

I still cannot help myself appreciating Unnikrishnan for his beautiful rendition of "Pankajaaksha" in thodi from "Aanandam" album and "Keeravani RTP" where he brings in beautifully, many ragas including 'gowrimanohari', 'hamsanandhi' and few others too. It was initially from this tune of gowrimanohari that I recognized some similarity in 'paatum naanae' (Thiruvilayaadal) with it. The pleasure and satisfaction that one gets after identifying a new / unknown raagam to be similar with some tune / raagam is something that can't be explained in words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

என் ஊரு சிவபுரம்

Is Ramayana the Indian version of Odyssey?

Why brahmins must support BJP?