What are all the different stories from Lord Shiva?

Lord Shiva is my favorite God too... Oh my God!!
I will try to share with you all I know here. I am just expressing my thoughts as it comes. So it is likely to me very haphazardly.
Shiva Trilogy:
Please do read Shiva Trilogy by Amish Tripathi. That series is too good. I totally loved it. You would love it too.
Tamil Shiva:
Shaivism flourished in TN for several years. In ancient times, around 1100 AD, a poet and Shiva devotee named Sekkizhar wrote poems called Periya Puranam about 63 other Shiva devotees aka. Nayanars.
It was a tradition in Tamil Nadu that fellow Shiva devotees were considered important than Lord Shiva himself.
The Periya Puranam was instrumental in making Ramana Maharshi renounce worldly life and head to the holy Tiruvannamalai (Arunachalam).
I could recollect one story about one of the 63 devotees called Meiporul Nayanar we studied in 7th or 8th standard in school. I will briefly explain the story that moved me into tears. Meiporul Nayanar was a king who ruled over a small region in TN. He was an ardent Shiva devotee. He had a foe from a neighboring kingdom called Muthanadhan. Muthanadhan couldn't win Meiporul Nayanar in war. So he came to Meiporul Nayanar's durbar in disguise of a Shiva devotee wearing holy ash (vibudhi) all over his body. He said that he had written some poems on Lord Shiva. Interested to listen to the poem on Lord Shiva, Meiporul Nayanar, asks him to take out his poem written in palm leaves and read it. He opened his pouch and took out a sharp knife instead of palm leaf and stabbed Meiporul Nayanar. When others in the court sprang to arrest Muthanadhan, Meiporul Nayanar said, "He is my Lord's devotee. Don't near him with the intention of arresting him or killing him. Leave him safely in his kingdom." I can say that this story initiated devotion to Lord Shiva in me.
I recommend you to read English translation of Periya Puranam if you find it somewhere. I started a blog called Stories from Periyapuranam and have written the stories of 4 of 63 Shiva devotees. Please read it if you like.
The Ilayaraja - Ramana Maharishi - Periya Puranam connection:
As I already mentioned, Periya Puranam inspired Ramana Maharishi to becoming sage. Ilayaraja is a devotee of Lord Shiva and Ramana Maharishi. His devotion to the Lord can be felt from his
  • Album called Thiruvasakam in Symphony
  • "Om Sivoham" [music directed] and "Pichai paathiram" [penned and music directed] both from the movie Naan Kadavul. Both the songs are awesome.
Om Sivoham...
Pichai paathiram...
I find the Om Sivoham song very divine, however gory the video may look. I somehow like the graveyard man, yogi, bearded, thug like portrayal of Lord Shiva. I may be having the worst taste, but that's me.
The Kapali (Kapaleshwarar):
If you assume yourself to be a lady, may be you would admire Lord Shiva like thisand have a little (even mad) crush on him.
Quoting from the same post for convenience.
Who is He (Kapali)? Papanasam Sivan describes the Lord as the one with matted hair who is adorned by a snake, with a garland of skulls, wearing tiger skin, His body covered by ash.  He is Kapali, meaning the one who holds a skull. Should not such an image be terrifying? But no! He who dances the dance of Time, His drum keeping the beat, His matted hair flying, His eyes flashing is the most attractive God of all!  Though He is the God of destruction, He is life itself for does not each moment of our life die almost as we live it? There is much symbolism in the depiction of Shiva; I will leave that discussion for another day.
Thanks for stopping by :) .
---
Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-all-the-different-stories-from-Lord-Shiva/answer/Balaji-Ramakrishnan-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

என் ஊரு சிவபுரம்

Is Ramayana the Indian version of Odyssey?

Why brahmins must support BJP?