Water and happiness

On a summer day in Bangalore, I took out my bicycle and started pushing it a puncture shop, as the tubes had got punctured due to keeping it idle for months. Bicycle puncture shops are really scarce in Bangalore and it was one km pushing effort from my home. I had started little late that morning, due to other chores like cleaning and washing my clothes. It happened to be very sunny day and the vigor of the sun started showing up at 11:00 am when I started.

After getting the puncture fixed, I rode it to Shanthinagar which is about 6 km from there. By the time I reached Madhavan park, I started feeling very thirsty. I stopped in front of a juice shop and had a sweet lime juice (Rs.20) and continued my ride. I reached Shanthinagar KPN office and booked my bicycle as a consignment to Porur, Chennai. I was still feeling thirsty. The juice was not so cold and I needed something cold to beat the heat. So I dropped by the bus station and saw a butter milk shop and gulped two glasses of butter milk that was kept in earthen pot (2 x Rs.10) and still my thirst didn't seem to get quenched. Then I bought a minute maid bottle (Rs.30 + 5 [Bus station charges]) and finished it off in a minute and left to Jayanagar 4th block, as I didn't get direct bus to Banashankari for a long time. I got down at Jayanagar 4th block Cool Joint and the cola ice cream in the road side shop tempted me and I started feeling thirsty again. I got a rose + katta bla bla bla (Rs. 20). It was too good. Then I took a bus to Krishna Seva Ashrama, as I had to deliver my cousin's old clothes in an orphanage near by the place.

It was just a half a kilometer walk from Krishna Seva Ashrama to the orphanage, yet I was badly thirsty again. I delivered the bag and said to the security that this bad consisted of good clothes that were used just once or twice and kept aside as they grew tight (rather we grew fat). I asked the orphanage security for some water as if I had traveled 100 km by walk. The water did the magic. Now I understood why it is called the 'elixir of life'. I should have done this long before, probably the first time I felt thirsty. I was attracted to others and nothing could satisfy my thirst. I spent Rs. 20 + (2 x 10) + (30 + 5) + 20 = 95 for the thirst that just required just humanity. I could have just dropped by in some Karnataka fame 'Sagar' or 'Dharshini' hotels and could have just had some water and I would have got relieved immediately.

On simple analysis of this happening in my life, I could see that, happiness is very near to us and sometimes even inside us like 'realization of self' and we get distracted by many things that only give momentary satisfaction. We pay high prices for the momentary pleasures in the form of money and time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

என் ஊரு சிவபுரம்

Is Ramayana the Indian version of Odyssey?

Why brahmins must support BJP?