I am deeply sorry from the bottom of my heart

Memories of discrimination:

        I belong to brahmin community. I like my caste and religion. Whether I was brainwashed and conditioned to love my caste and religion from childhood; I don't know. 

        The brahmin community is said to have done bad things to the dalit and other lower caste communities. Memory of those atrocities / discrimination are still with people. 
        
        Simbu (Silambarasan), a multi talented film actor, s/o. TR, a famous actor, director and music director, said, in a reality show called Airtel Super Singer, that, he wasn't allowed as main dancer because he didn't belong to a particular caste. He further said, the lead position was given to a kid that belonged to a "particular upper caste", though he performed much better than the kid. 

        This is bad (the above instance of Simbu), be it any community that denied him the place he deserved. This should never happen to anyone in India. On a side note, this is an instance of fresh memory of discrimination. May the time heal them. Till then I know the brahmin community will have to face the brunt. I accept it. There doesn't seem to be any choice but to accept. Even if there was a way to escape, I don't want to escape. 

Brahmins are harmless, compassionate people:

        My father or my mother didn't do any bad things such as discriminating lower castes. Neither did my grandfather or my grandmother discriminate. My grandfather was the one who created a common well for SC/STs (Saklis as they are called) in his farm when neighboring Gounders drove them away from entering their farm.

        Let me narrate an instance... During those days, when caste divisions were highly seen, in Sathyamangalam, my grandfather owned a 6 acre farm on the shores of the holy Bhavani river. There used to be a way to access the river through every farm located on the shores of the river. Gounders, the big feudal large farm owning community in the area, never allowed SC/STs, through their farms. The oppressed people had to come round the way walking a long distance to access the river. When my grandfather created a path in his farm, he made it accessible to all (no distinctions made). He was a teacher. He took free tuition for all caste students alike. He made my grandmother cook for all his students many a times. All his kids ate with his students together. There are several such instances where we (the brahmin community) had been harmless and compassionate.
Quick note: I am not interested in shaming any community (Gounders here). And I don't mind if you don't believe that I am not interested in shaming.

Other dominant upper castes try to escape from brunt:

        There are many caste disputes even today. I don't see brahmin community involved in any of these disputes. Honor killings (murder punishment for inter caste marriages) are also more in non-brahmin communities. I see brahmin community accepting people across faiths (religions) and castes in matrimonial alliance. With all these, I can easily say, brahmin caste may be one of the least caste hegemonic castes in India. But, I don't want to escape by saying that. 

        Do non-brahmin upper castes like gounders, thevars, vanniers, mudaliars, chettiars, etc face the same kind of hatred brahmin community faces in the society despite the honor killings and caste atrocities they commit? 

        How do they manage to escape from the hatreds? Their formula is simple. They simply shift the blame on brahmins. They simply say, 'brahmins invented the caste system, we are just following it as we have got used to it.' Finished. They think that justifies their bad actions. We, as a democratic, liberal, secular community are not asking tough questions by holding them by their collar. Because they are in political power through DMK, ADMK parties. Thus they simply escape.

My appeal:

        Therefore, my appeal to all upper castes like brahmins, gounders, thevars, vanniyers, nadars, mudaliars, chettiars, etc whichever community treated other lower castes badly... 

        Let us all apologize from the bottom of our heart to the people we oppressed.

        Escapism will not take us too far in the path of development.

        First step towards fixing the issue is accepting our mistakes. If you (non brahmin upper caste communities) keep passing blame on other community and keep continuing with atrocities, we will go nowhere as a society.

        Let us together fight caste discrimination.

I deeply apologize:

Being a brahmin... at a personal level... 

I apologize from the bottom of my heart to all my fellow citizens who had been oppressed by my community.

No amount of apology would suffice.

I accept reservation for your upliftment.

I am eager to see you flourish.

I accept your hatred against me.

All I want is : see you grow.

All the very best my fellows! May my lord Shiva be with you.


I want all people to have fair and equal opportunity. I want whole of India to progress together as a nation.

PS:
  • I don't recognize any castes outside my house. I am a brahmin inside my house. I am a foodist (I'm a bloody one who won't allow my friends to bring non veg). I am a liquidist (I'm a bloody one again. I don't allow liquor at all.) I don't tolerate bad behaviors (raping, killing, misbehaving with women and children) inside my house. I am all the above mentioned 'ist's inside my house. I am a proud brahmin, inside my house. I will impose all restrictions I deem fit inside my house. If you call me a casteist for this, you are free to have your views and FY. I don't mind.
  • I wasn't in agreement when I wrote SC/ST or other caste names. I used those names for providing the context. For addressing ground realities, we have to openly talk in ground reality terms.
  • Please remember that I don't recognize castes outside my house. I recognize castes inside my house, but, no caste is upper or lower even inside my house. I understand you have equally rich but a different tradition.
Jai hind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

என் ஊரு சிவபுரம்

Is Ramayana the Indian version of Odyssey?

Why brahmins must support BJP?